Am I eligible for an Australia Remaining Relative Visa?
The Australian Remaining Relative Visa is designed to enable Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens, (who are usually resident and settled in Australia), to sponsor a remaining relative to migrate to Australia.
Generally, you will be eligible to apply for a Remaining Relative Visa for Australia
- You have no close family ties outside Australia, and
- You are the brother, sister, child or equivalent of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled and usually resident in Australia; and
- Your relative in Australia is aged over 18, and
- You and/or your spouse do not have any near relative (other than a near relative who is usually resident in Australia AND either an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen), and
- You are sponsored by a near relative who:
- is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen;
- was not granted a visa on the basis of being a remaining relative;
- has not previously sponsored/nominated a remaining relative.
- You have an approved Assurance of Support - the assuror need not to be the same person as the visa sponsor and should be:
- an adult Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen;
- a usual resident in Australia;
- financially capable of supporting the sponsored persons including covering necessary social security payments if such payments were made to the persons under the assurance;
- You meet the Health and Character requirements of Australian Immigration. This will require you to:
- Undergo a medical examination and chest X-ray undertaken by one of a panel of doctors selected by the Australian authorities
- Obtain police certificates for all countries in which you have lived for more than 12 months in the 10 years leading up to the application. If you are a child under 18, who was adopted
overseas by an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, your adoptive parent must have spent the required 12 months living overseas prior to the adoption visa application.A near relative is someone who is:
- a parent, brother or sister, or
- a minor child who is not in your daily care and control, or
- an adult child over 18 who is not dependent on you, or
- step equivalents of the above; and
Medical/x-ray, police good conduct/character certificates and Assurance of support forms must be provided upon request by the relevant authorities.